Welat Zeydanlıoğlu is the founder and coordinator of the Kurdish Studies Network, a global research network for scholars working in Kurdish Studies. He is also the managing editor of Kurdish Studies, an international and peer-reviewed academic journal launched early 2013. Among other things, in this simple page you can find details of his publications. For further information please feel free to contact him at welat.zeydanlioglu[at]gmail.com
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu & Cengiz Gunes (2013). (eds.). The Kurdish Question in Turkey: New Perspectives on Violence, Representation and Reconciliation. London: Routledge.
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2013). “Reform or Repression? An Analysis of AKP’s Kurdish Language Policy” in Welat Zeydanlıoğlu & Cengiz Gunes (eds.). The Kurdish Question in Turkey: New Perspectives on Violence, Representation and Reconciliation. London: Routledge, pp.162-185. (Download article).
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2012). “Turkey‘s Kurdish Language Policy” in Jaffer Sheyholislami, Amir Hassanpour and Tove Skutnabb-Kangas (eds.) The Kurdish Linguistic Landscape: Vitality, Linguicide and Resistance. Special issue in The International Journal of the Sociology of Language. 217, pp.99-125. (Download article).
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu & Ipek Demir (2010). ‘On the Representation of “Others” at Europe‘s Borders: The Case of Iraqi Kurds‘, Journal of Contemporary European Studies. 18 (1), March, pp. 7-23.
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu & John T. Parry (2009). (eds.). Rights, Citizenship & Torture: Perspectives on Evil, Law and the State. Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2009). “Torture and Turkification in the Diyarbakır Military Prison” in Rights, Citizenship & Torture: Perspectives on Evil, Law and the State, Welat Zeydanlıoğlu and John T. Parry (eds.), Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press, pp. 73-92. (Download article).
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2008). “The White Turkish Man’s Burden” : Orientalism, Kemalism and the Kurds in Turkey“ in Guido Rings and Anne Ife (eds.) Neo-colonial Mentalities in Contemporary Europe? Language and Discourse in the Construction of Identities, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 155-174. (Download article).
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2007). Kemalism’s “Others”: The Reproduction of Orientalism in Turkey. (Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, UK – unpublished PhD thesis).
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2013). “Uygarlaştıramadığımız Kürtlerdenmisiniz? Oryantalizm, Kemalizm ve Kürtler”, Kürt Tarihi, vol 6, pp. 48-51.
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2013). “Diyarbakır Askeri Cezaevinde İşkence ve Türkleştirme”, Toplum ve Kuram, vol. 8, Spring, pp. 183-200. (Download article).
- Welat Zeydanlıoğlu (2009). “Beyaz Türk’ün Yükü: Oryantalizm, Kemalizm ve Türkiye’de Kürtler”, Toplum ve Kuram, vol. 2, october, pp. 195-211. (Download article).
- Fevzi Bilgin & Ali Sarıhan (eds), Understanding Turkey’s Kurdish Question. Lanham: Lexington Books. (Download book review).
- Özgür Heval Çınar & Coşkun Üsterci (eds), Conscientious Objection: Resisting Militarized Society. London & New York: Zed Books, 2009, for the Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law, 24 (2).
- Kerim Yıldız & Mark Muller, The European Union and Turkish Accession: Human Rights and the Kurds. London and Ann Arbor, MI: Pluto Press, 2008, for the Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 17 (1), pp. 140-141.
Invited Talks, Panels
- Panel convener and chair “Kurdish Migration and Borderlands: Rethinking Borders, Boundaries, Crossings and Mobility” (Turkish Migration Conference, Regents College London, 30 May – 1 June 2014).
- Paper on “The Kurdish Studies Network and the State of Kurdish Studies” at the Kurdish Studies Conference, Bilgi University, 25 May, 2013.
- Speaker at the seminar “Burning Issues of Our Time: Controversies and Conspiracies in Turkey. From the Armenian Genocide to the Kurdish Question” (Danish Institute for Study Abroad – 25/02/2013).
- Panel chair at the International Conference on Kurdish Migration and Diaspora, Hugo Valentin Centre, University o Uppsala, 12-13 april, 2012.
- Talk on Turkey, Near & Middle East History Seminar Series, Department of History, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, february, 2008.
- Panel on “The Rise of Turkish Nationalism during the EU Process” at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) (6 Feb), organised by the Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism (ASEN) and University of Essex (7 Feb), organised by the Turkish Soceity of University of Essex, 2008. (View video).
- Panel on “The Kurdish Question” at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, organised by the Kurdish Studies and Students Organisation (KSSO), July, 2007.
- “Çözüm Süreci Söyleşileri Serisi – 10” (Conversation series on the peace process in Turkey, no: 10), UKAM – International Cultural Research Center, Turkey – February 2015) (Download article).
- “New Texts Out: Kurdish Studies” (Interview on the Kurdish Studies journal), Jadaliyya.com – 05/02/2014).
- “Akademîsyenên kurd kovarek bi ingilîzî weşandin” (Kurdish academics publish journal in English), (Rudaw – 17/11/2013).
- “Kürtlere ilişkin bilimsel dergi” (A scientific journal on the Kurds), (Yeni Özgür Politika – 08/11/2013).
- “Turkey is set to end a ban on several letters of the alphabet”, interview on the “democratisation package” in Turkey by Dalia Mortada for Radio PRI, 4/10/2013).
- Interview on the Kurds and the Kurdish Question for New Zeeland’s public broadcaster for the program “Ideas”. (Interview by Jeremy Rose for Radio New Zeeland, 21/04/2013).
- “Tora navnetewî ya akademîsyenên kurd: Kurdish Studies Network“ (Interview by Ergülen Toprak for Rûdaw – no.191 – 28/03/2013).
- “Inside Outside with Welat Zeydanlıoğlu on the Imralı process“ (Interview by Eddy Güzeldere for Açık Radyo – 25/02/2013).
- “Kurdish Studies Network Fills Void for Kurdish Experts” (Rudaw – 31/10/2012).
- “Kemalizmin kendini yeniyebilecek potansiyeli yoktu” (ANF – Firatnews.com – 05/07/2012) (pdf).
- “Situation of Kurds in western Turkey” (Report based on the Canadian Migration Board’s interview with me – and others – Refworld – 14/06/2012)
- “Kemalizm Kürtleri ötekileştirdi“ (Part 1) (Yeni Özgür Politika – 27/02/2008).
- “Irkçılığın cevabı ırkçılık olamaz“ (Part 2) (Yeni Özgür Politika – 28/02/2008).
- “Kemalizm kendi Doğu’sunu yaratarak Kürtleri ötekileştirdi” (Telgraf Londra – 19/02/2008).
- “Kürt araştırma ağı genişliyor“ (The Kurdish Studies Network is expanding), (Yeni Özgür Politika – 25/07/2011).